Thursday, November 5, 2009

Tinkering with a brand

From a 202er:

I found this article on the NY Times website and thought it was pretty interesting. The character of Mickey is so much embedded in our culture, and the thought of changing him to be a mischievous character completely contrasts the character's stereotype. However, I think the idea for the new video game sounds really cool and would love to try it when it comes out late next year. I think is is interesting our Disney is viewing this character change almost as a re-branding for the Disney company.

Disney Will Give Mickey Mouse a Makeover - NYTimes.com

1 comment:

Megan said...

I don't know what I think of this. I think re-inventing/re-thinking Mickey's character to modernize him could be valuable. But making him naughty and selfish do not strike me as the right kind of updates to be making to a beloved children's cartoon character. What is that teaching kids? Like I said, this could be very cool and very worthwhile but only if done in the right way.